Re: rpc:signature question.

Jonathan,

The word "input" in "child of the input element" should have been
written in regular type, as opposed to fixed-width.

The expression means more than what you describe (“element declaration
in the complexType declared by the {element declaration} of the Message
Reference component with {direction} ‘in’”) because there are many ways
to declare child elements in schema, e.g. with model groups.

It is true though that "the input element" means the "{element
declaration} of the Message Reference component with {direction} ‘in’".
It's stating the other half which is hard. It'd be much easier if XML
Schema had a core language like Relax NG (<insert favorite rant on this
topic here/>), because then we could compile away model groups and other
oddities.

There may be an indirect way of saying this. What the assertion in
question is really saying is that, for each valid instance of the
“element declaration in the complexType declared by the {element
declaration} of the Message Reference component with {direction} ‘in’”,
it MUST be the case that the corresponding EII has among its [children]
one EII whose qualified name matches the given one. A similar
constraint, but negative, should be placed on the output element.
Indirectly, such a universally quantified constraint on all valid EIIs
would reflect back into a constraint at the schema level for which,
alas, there appears to be no concise expression.

Thanks,
Roberto