RE: References in the default namespace

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the xs:QName type takes
the default namespace when the prefix is omitted, and that by declaring
@element as an xs:QName, we exhibit this behavior as well.

I don't find the reference from XML Schema to Namespaces totally conclusive,
as Namespaces defines rules for unprefixed constructs specifically for each
type of construct (unprefixed element names take the default namespace if
there is one, or take a null namespace if there isn't; while unprefixed
attribute names don't take the prefix.)  There aren't any conclusive
statements there about the behavior of QNames in content within the
Namespaces document.

XPath was very careful to define the meaning of prefixed and unprefixed
element names in its syntax.  I haven't found anything as comprehensive
about QNames.

At this point though, folklore is good enough, and I'll fix wsdl-xslt to
recognize unprefixed QName references as belonging to the default
namespace...

Jonathan Marsh - http://www.wso2.com - http://auburnmarshes.spaces.live.com