From: Liu, Kevin [mailto:kevin.liu@sap.com]
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 5:25 PM
To: Hugo Haas; Jonathan Marsh
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: What are the exemptions for use of IRI?

Hi Hugo, Hi Jonathan,

While working on proposing changes to the primer to implement your
suggestions in LC303 [1], I realize that we may also need to do a global
search in the Primer to replace the term URI with IRI to be consistent
with the core spec, in addition to adding a brief introduction to IRI as
you suggested.

However, I  notice that the resolution of LC74a [2] , which caused the
URI to IRI changes in Part 1 and 2,  contains a few exemptions. The
resolution of LC74a says <quote>Change URI to IRI throughout except URI
attr and prop on featiures and properties and SOAP module, which becomes
"ref"; exempt appendix E where we talk about namespace URIs, and section
4.11.2 in adjunct spec.</quote>.

It's not clear to me what the last two exemptions really are since
section "Appendix E" and "section 4.11.2 in adjunct specs" are
completely changed/removed in the current version of the spec. In
particular,

	*	If I recall it right, the former Part 1  appendix E is
now part of the Primer section 5.6 [3] which talks about namespace URIs.
Does the exemption for "Appendix E" in LC74a mean that namespace URI
should not be changed to IRI? if so, why?
	*	I have no idea what the "adjunct section 4.11.2" was, do
you know what  the exemption for "section 4.11.2" is?

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/5/lc-issues/#LC303

[2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/4/lc-issues/issues.html#LC74a
[3]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-wsdl20-primer-20050803/#adv-notes-on-uris