RE: Contradictions regarding transitivity of wsdl:import

Sorry, but renaming "Description component" to "component model" does
not clear up the confusion.  The confusion stems from the bizarre
anachronism of components being in the component model -- which is
derived *from* the infoset -- even though they were not supposed to have
been visible at the *infoset* level.  (How can the spec even talk about
the visibility of components at the infoset level, when components do
not exist at the infoset level?)   It is almost as though a component is
supposed to simultaneously exist and not exist in the component model,
depending on who is referencing it.  Let me demonstrate.

Suppose I am reading the spec to verify the conformance and meaning of
document A, which has not imported C.  In particular, I have written
binding A:bindingA in document/targetNamespace A to reference interface
C:interfaceC from document/targetNamespace C, and I want to verify that
I have got it right.  I look at the rules for bindings, sec 2.9.2.2
says:
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8#Binding_interface_attribute
[[
The interface attribute information item refers, by QName, to an
Interface component.
]]

Section 2.9.3 then defines the value of the Binding component's
{interface} property as:
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ws/desc/wsdl20/wsdl20.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8#Binding_Mapping
[[
The Interface component resolved to by the actual value of the interface
attribute information item, if any.
]]

Section 2.19 then defines QName resolution:
[[
. . . QName references are resolved by looking in the appropriate
property of the Description component. . . .
If the appropriate property of the Description component does not
contain a component with the required QName then the reference is a
broken reference.
]]

One would expect that the reference from A:bindingA to C:interfaceC
should result in a "broken reference", because A did not import C.  But
in the current component model, the C:interfaceC component *is* in the
"appropriate property of the Description component"!  In spite of this,
it is somehow not supposed to be "visible".

This doesn't make sense.  It would be much clearer if the component
model itself reflected the desired visibility of components in QName
references, such that rules like 2.19 for QName resolution would have a
transparent interpretation.

Arthur's option 2 would solve this problem by adopting a more intuitive
correspondence between the infoset and the component model.

--
David Booth <dbooth@w3.org>