	From: Arthur Ryman [mailto:ryman@ca.ibm.com]
	Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 6:07 AM
	To: Martin Gudgin
	Cc: David Booth; www-ws-desc@w3.org; www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
	Subject: RE: Contradictions regarding transitivity of
wsdl:import

	Martin,

	After your note, David phoned me and we talked for a long time.
The conversation pointed out to me that what I considered to be the
obvious interpretation of the component model was not so obvious.

	My interpretation was that the Description component contained
all the components from all the documents. i.e., we are only talking
about a single component model instance. Any reference from one
component must land on another component within the same Description
component.

	However, David thought that the Description component mapped
more closely to the <description> element and that it contained only
those components that were "visible" to the components defined in the
document.

	I think this confusion could be reduced by adopting Option 1,
namely get rid of the Description component and replace it with a new
object named "Component Model". That would make is clear that there is
no close correspondence with a document.

	The Component Model object would contain the same properties as
the current Description component. These properties contain the "root"
components: interfaces, bindings, services, and types. All other
components are nested within the root components.

	Option 1 also has the benefit that we finally define the
Component Model in the same amount of detail as we define the
components. The spec refers to the component model a lot but never
actually defines in much detail.

	Arthur Ryman,
	Rational Desktop Tools Development

	phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
	assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
	fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
	mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@fido.ca
	intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

"Martin Gudgin" <mgudgin@microsoft.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org

04/18/2005 09:56 PM

"David Booth" <dbooth@w3.org>, Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
<www-ws-desc@w3.org>
Subject
RE: Contradictions regarding transitivity of wsdl:import

	I didn't think this was where we ended up after my
'illumination'
	e-mail... What happened?

	Gudge

component
	> model.  I was suggesting that instead there should be a
	> component model
	> for each WSDL 2.0 document (i.e., each wsdl:description
element
	> information item), along the lines of option 2 that you
propose below.