RE: WSDL Import/Include Locations

I apologize if my contributions have not been productive.

> I spend a lot of time preparing what I'm going to say. I
> realize that this can still result in me saying silly things
> but at least I try hard to prevent it.

Again, I apologize if my contributions have said silly things.

> So if I'm now saying something silly I apologize. I've
> thought this one through as best as I'm able and I just don't
> understand the objections.
>
> If someone defines a WSDL which imports/includes other
> information then, generally speaking, the WSDL can't be run
> unless that other information is available.

This may not actually be the case. To be honest, it depends on what a
given WSDL processor is doing and what's is being imported/included.
There are several scenarios where imports/includes could be ignored and
a processor could still do it's job. For example, lets say that WSDL A
defines two interfaces I1 and I2 and imports WSDL B which defines
another interface, I3. Let's say that I2 is derived from I3 and that I1
is just a standalone interface. Let's say I define a service in WSDL C
that implements interface I1. So I import WSDL A, define a binding for
I1 and reference that binding in my service. Do I really need to import
WSDL B? I never use I2 and hence don't need I3.

> However endpoints
> on the Internet, along with the Internet itself, are unreliable.

Agreed, but the contention at the FTF was that there are other,
lower-level, solutions to this problem.

> One of the most common ways to deal with unreliability is to
> make information available at distinct locations. The
> advantage of making data available at distinct locations is
> that not only does it provide reliability in the face of
> endpoint failures but it also provides reliability in the
> face of network failures.

I'm not sure why you'd distinguish endpoint failure from network failure
in this particular case.

> If one has a list of possible locations then there are two
> distinct strategies one can use in retrieving the data. One
> can walk through the list serially or in parallel.
>
> Generally speaking serially is preferred. Not only does it
> reduce the load on the network but it also distributes the
> load (assuming a random starting point in the list) amongst
> the various endpoints. This later quality is especially nice
> as many organizations do not have the resources to run
> multiple endpoints so if they want to distribute their WSDL
> they will need to ask other people for a favor. The beauty of
> a serial based system is that the more people are willing to
> carry a copy of the document the less load each volunteer has
> to deal with. In other words, serial processing of alternate
> locations encourages people to volunteer to replicate each
> other's content. This is pure goodness.
>
> Parallel processing also has its place. In cases where
> performance is super critical it is can be reasonable to
> download redundant data in parallel in order to reduce the
> worst case performance scenario. But parallel processing of
> location lists should be used sparringly. It puts a much
> heavier load on the net and it actively discourages
> volunteers to replicate data since each volunteer will have
> to bear the full load of all requests regardless of how many
> volunteers there are. This is the opposite of serial
> processing where the larger the set of volunteers the less
> load each volunteer has to carry.
>
> If I understand what is being proposed below then in the case
> of importing documents it would be legal to import the same
> content multiple times. Which is a good thing. But, if the
> only way to get robust behavior is to include multiple
> redundant imports then we are forcing everyone, everywhere to
> use parallel loading. This means we are actively discouraging
> people from replicating each other's data. That just doesn't
> seem like a good idea.

I don't understand why you would assume that processing of multiple
import elements mandates the parallel approach. If I write a WSDL
processor and I see

<xs:import namespace='foo' location='blah1' />
<xs:import namespace='foo' location='blah2' />
<xs:import namespace='foo' location='blah3' />

I can process them in serial or in parallel. Or I can just process one
of them and ignore the rest. Or...

> Allowing import/include to have more than one URI and
> specifying that the list is to be processed serially with a
> random start location is not a new design. It is well
> understood, well proven and widely used. Why is there so much
> resistence to something so obvious?

The WG resolved this issue at the face-to-face by declining to change
the definition of the location attribute on import/include. The status
quo for import/include is now as follows:

1.	You can have multiple wsdl:import elements whose namespace
attribute have the same value. This allows some failover behaviour.
2.	wsdl:import can be processed in a lazy fashion, a WSDL processor
is NOT required to fail just because a given location attribute fails to
resolve to a wsdl:definitions element.
3.	wsdl:include cannot be processed in a lazy fashion, a WSDL
processor MUST fail early if dereferencing any location attribute value
does not resolve to a wsdl:definitions element.

I note your concern that not allowing multiple URIs in the location
attribute loses the notion that all those URIs identify a WSDL that
contains the same set of components. But the WG was not willing to
change the status quo. I would note that in the case of import any WSDL
processor is free to ignore the location attribute and/or augment it
with other locations determined as it sees fit.

> I apologize if I'm being block headed but I really don't
> understand the source of contention.

I still maintain that specifying multiple URIs on wsdl:import is not
necessary given the latitude WSDL processors have regarding the
processing of that element anyway. That said, I did vote for allowing
multiple URIs in @location on wsdl:include because of the WGs earlier
decision regarding issue 127. However, the majority of the WG did not
want to make a change.

As I stated at the face-to-face, I now believe our design to be
inconsisten with respect to wsdl:import and wsdl:include. But I was
out-voted and the status quo is now as I state above. And at this stage,
it feels like it's time to move on to Last Call and await comments.

Gudge