Re: 2004-02-12 Action Item: Clarification to the OperationName feature

Enthusiastically +1.  WSDL describes messages, and groups them into
soi-distant exchanges of messages (so if you send something, you've got
an idea what you'll get back).

In the http and soap over http bindings, there's already a method (post
or get).

Amy!
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 02:13:45 +0000
Jim Webber <Jim.Webber@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> Mark:
>
> > Ah, right, it's that one again. 8-)
>
> Indeed it is.
>
> > But as I think I must have said before, you seem to be trying
> > to make WSDL be something that it isn't.  That may or may not
> > be a good thing to do, but every use of WSDL I've seen uses
> > it describe application interfaces, so that's where my
> > comments are coming from.
>
> I'm not trying to make WSDL anything else, it already is a message
> description langauge. Some people like to think that it describes this
> mythical application, but I see no justifcation for that. The
> "application" that receives a message described in WSDL might be a
> human reading a fax. How does that tie in with an operation?
>
> I guess it all depends on your view point. Some people see web
> services as a point-to-point means of joining my thing to your thing
> (with application-specific semantics permeating the network layer). I
> see it as a canonical messaging platform for joining anything to
> everything(minus any baggage from the application layer).
>
> Jim

Architect, TIBCO/Extensibility, Inc.