Re: Minority objection to requiring unique GEDs or required feature to distinguish operations

+1

Just to expand on that a little, IMO the biggest problem with this
approach is that a client receiving a response message correlated with
its request message, doesn't know how to interpret it; if it's a
successful response, what exactly was successful?  If it's a fault, what
*didn't* happen?

I'm all for removing the operation from the SOAP envelope, in fact,
I was arguing for that in the XMLP WG nearly four years ago.  I just
think there's a less-ambiguous, more self-descriptive, more loosely
coupled way of doing it; a generic operation which means something like
"process this document", encapsulated within an underlying application
protocol (as is the case for HTTP POST and SMTP DATA, for example).

Cheers,

Mark.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 11:01:50AM +0200, Jacek Kopecky wrote:
> The problem I see with dispatching upon policy is that the client has no
> idea which of the multiple operations with the same on the wire message
> contents is in effect and also which of the potential different result
> messages it can expect back (this can be appropriately modified for
> non-req-resp patterns).
>
> As a client, I'd like to be sure that it's operation A (and none
> different) that is in effect, especially if I choose to ascribe
> different semantics to different operations at the endpoint. Of course
> one could view the situation that from the initiator's point of view,
> both (or all) ambiguous operations could be viewed as a single one with
> an out-of-bound switch between the various result formats, but then I
> believe it should also be modeled as a single WSDL operation.
>
> On this issue, I agree with the status quo that describing the dispatch
> mechanism is good and mandatory.

  Seeking work on large scale application/data integration projects
  and/or the enabling infrastructure for same.