RE: What WSDL defines - the diagram!

+1 to Gudge! I find a lot of people confused about this. How to make it clear to the spec readers?
Attached is one simplified attemt to formally define some of the WSDL components and their relationships in UML.

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)

From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Martin Gudgin
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 5:12 AM
To: David Booth; Anne Thomas Manes; Mark Baker; Glen Daniels
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3.org; paul.downey@bt.com
Subject: RE: What WSDL defines - the diagram!

It's not about a 'document'. It's about a set of WSDL components. You can't tell by looking at a single document whether it violates the unique definitions rule. You have to follow imports to do that, which is something only a WSDL processor can do ( whether that processor is implemented in wetware, XSLT, Java or whatever ).

So, I disagree that our job is only to state what it means to be a WSDL document. We do need to state that. But we also need to state what it mean to be a valid set of WSDL components. Note that the distinction here is EXACTLY the same as that between a schema document and a schema.

Gudge