Re: WSDL 1.1 schema question

Sanjiva,

I agree that schema ain't good enough. The spec expresses many additional
semantic rules that are beyond the scope of XSD. For example, AFAIK, XSD
can't express semantics involving imported WSDL documents.

I would like to see the WG define a schema that expresses as much as
possible and give that schema "official" status. That is what I meant by
the schema being normative, i.e. that it is an official part of the spec.
The schema is not exhaustive though, since it can't express everything.

The approach for the extra-schema semantics should be that the WG include
test assertions in the spec. A WSDL validator could then implement the
test assertions. The combination of the normative XSD plus all the test
assertions should define what it means for WSDL to be WSDL-valid.

We therefore have a sequence of checks we can perform on WSDL:

1. Syntax - well formed XML
2. Structure - XSD valid wrt to the normative wsdl.xsd
3. Semantic - all test assertions in the spec are satisfied

So to really acheive the needed level of precision, we need both a
normative XSD and a normative set of test assertions.

Arthur Ryman

"Sanjiva Weerawarana" <sanjiva@watson.ibm.com>
Sent by: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org
03/26/2003 10:02 AM