Re: Terminology

Good starting point. Some comments below.

JJ.

David Booth wrote:

> wsdl:interface The (abstract) interface described by the
> <wsdl:interface> element. It is a collection of wsdl:operations.  The
> wsdl:interface defines how a client can interact with a wsdl:service
> through an agent that is accessed at a location identified by a
> wsdl:endpoint.

To me, mentionning endpoint here removes the distinction between the
abstract and concrete layers in WSDL.

> wsdl:service (a/k/a "Web service" or "service") The (abstract)
> service described by the <wsdl:service> element. It is accessed
> through a collection of endpoints, and (if we keep the
> wsdl:@targetResource attribute) it may manipulate some other resource
> that is identified by the wsdl:@targetResource.

I think this last sentence should mention that manipulation happens
through the service's interface.

Also, I think we should say a service provides the concrete
implementation for an interface, and is accessible via one or more
endpoints.

No mention of agent in this definition?

> wsdl:endpoint The (abstract) thing that is described by the
> <wsdl:endpoint> element. It provides a location for accessing a
> particular agent that is accessible via particular protocols
> described by its associated binding.

s/binding/wsdl:binding/

 > This agent is NOT assumed to be
> the same as the wsdl:service, since there may be several agents at
> different wsdl:endpoints corresponding to the same wsdl:service.

This is confusing with the first definition above: "a client can
interact with a wsdl:service through an agent".

> (The wsdl:service is more abstract than the agent.)  However,
> interacting with such an agent (through a wsdl:endpoint) implies that
> you are interacing with the associated wsdl:service.

Same comment as above.

> wsdl:operation The (abstract) operation template described by the
> <wsdl:operation> element. It is a template for a single interaction
> with the wsdl:service.

I think operation should be defined in terms of messages, rather than
just interaction.

We also possibly need an entry for a wsdl:message.

> wsdl:binding The (abstract) association described by the
> <wsdl:binding> element. It associates an (abstract) interface with
> transport and serialization details.

OK.