RE: Two logical WSDL documents describing the same service

Yep, I'd say this is the question you want to focus on.  If a WSDL <service>
element does not correspond to the common conception of a "service", things
are going to get ugly.  I'm not so sure that what people think of as the
"service" is the bag of state rather than a specific interface for
manipulating that bag of state, but I haven't thought hard about it.  Worse,
there seem to be two inconsistent sources of information on what "people
think of as a service" -- common SOAP/WSDL 1.1 practice, and the theorizing
about Service Oriented Architectures that one sees everywhere these days.
I'm inclined to think that the SOA theorizing is the better source of
inspiration, but I can *easily* imagine that companies with shipping
products and real WSDL 1.1 customers would disagree!