RE: Proposal for R120 WSDL URI References

Does this mean that a URI representing a namespace name has exactly the
same meaning as when it appears as a link in an HTML document?  OK,
let's not go there...

> I'm not sure what you mean by the WSD WG is checking with the TAG.

We plan to look at TAG findings relating to this issue, is all.

> haven't seen any questions to the TAG on this.  Do you mean to members
of
> the TAG or the Director?  Or do you mean the WSD WG "will" check with
the
> TAG and it simply hasn't happened yet?  BTW, I'm pretty comfortable
that
> the
> TAG will say yay verily to a new media type.  The TAG certainly wanted
XSL
> and XENC to register media types.  Heck, I'd probably say you don't
need
> check with the TAG, just do it.
>
> I should have been clearer that I support media type registration for
> reasons above and beyond the need for fragment identifier schemes.
But
> let's decouple the issue of media-type registration from the pointer
> scheme.
>
> I agree the syntax for xpointer is convoluted.  In fact, I'd say it's
> downright "icky".  However, if XPointer is not used, particularly for
the
> extension elements, it seems that a fair chunk of how xpointer deals
with
> multiple namespaces will have to be re-invented for extension
elements.
> There are a number of extensions that are defined for WSDL to be
useful
> for
> a real-world service, such as the http, mime and soap bindings.  I'd
> really
> like to see how WSDL will deal with these extensions.  As the WSDL
spec is
> the creator of these extensions, seems to me like WSD WG needs to do
the
> work that you correctly assign to the creator.  I think it's crucial
> evaluate any proposal for WSDL fragment identifiers with the
extensions
> defined in WSDL.  I'm convinced the namespace issue will show up and
be a
> source of pain.  And the solution is to deal with the problem up
front,
> rather than provide an incomplete solution.

One of our concerns is that XPointer identifies XML infoitems within an
XML document.  We are trying to identify abstract components within a
target namespace.  For instance, definitions for a target namespace
might be scattered across multiple documents.  It's not even clear
whether the URI representing the target namespace has a media type, in
which case it wouldn't have a well-defined fragment syntax either.

> I did make the suggestion that the issue you raise about complexity of
> query/path schemes for WSDL might be more architectural and general.
Was
> there any sense in the group that this might be the case?

Yes, I have an action to look at Schema's normalized universal names,
since they have the same problem with QNames scoped to a particular
context and residing in overlapping symbol spaces.  The possibilities
for a more general solution should become clearer as we investigate this
further.