RE: Revised extensibility proposal

Personally, the whole thing seems needlessly complex, with Declared
Extensions, Undeclared Extensions, Declared Required Extensions,
Undeclared Required Extensions, and two syntaxes for indicating Required
that will interact in strange ways.  <my:ext wsdl:required="false"/> may
in fact be a required extension - you have to look at the prologue to
tell.

I still don't see why a simpler proposal won't work:

1) Open the content model to elements and attributes in other
namespaces.
2) Mark required extensions with a <wsdl:extension namespace="..."/>
element.
3) An interpreter of the WSDL document, encountering an element or
attribute marked as a required extension but not recognizing the
namespace of that element, must interpret the entire WSDL document as
"not understood".
4) Certain elements can accept "architected extensions" which means they
don't have to be declared using the extension mechanism.  These are not
really extensions at all, just boundaries between embedded namespaces.

Note this also solves the annotation problem.

What is the purpose of marking an optional extension?  What the
extension does (optional or required) is certainly the business of the
spec for that extension.  The more kinds of extension we introduce, the
more we tread into processing models and stray from a declarative
language.

"wsdl:extension"
>     element is "false".
>
>     [Extension Declarations are at the beginning of the document
>      so that by the time a processor sees any non-trivial wsdl
content,
>      it's aware of all the processing rules.]
>
>     The "set of extension namespace names" is formed by collecting
>     the values of all the "namespace" attributes of the
"wsdl:extension"
>     elements.
>
>     The "set of required extension namespace names" is formed by
>     collecting the values of all the "namespace" attributes of the
> "wsdl:extension"
>     elements whose "required" attribute has a value of "true".
>
>     [Later on, we'll want to add all built-in extensions to the set of
> required
>      extension namespace names, so that they don't get declared in
each
>      wsdl document.]
>
>     [During the conference call, someone (I believe it was Sanjiva)
> suggested
>      to use a "namespace-prefix" attribute instead of "namespace", in
> analogy
>      with XSLT. This is purely a matter of syntax that we can discuss
> later.]
>
> 3. Keep the wsdl:required attribute (of type xsd:boolean) from WSDL
1.1.
> This
>     attribute is meaningful only when applied to Extensions.
>
> 4. Define the following terms:
>
>     An Extension whose element has a namespace name which is  a member
>     of the set of extension namespace names is called a Declared
> Extension.
>     All other Extensions are Undeclared.
>
>     A Declared Extension is Required if: (a) its namespace name is a
> member of
>     the set of required extension namespace names, or (b) the
Extension
> element
>     itself carries a wsdl:required attribute whose value is "true".
>
> 5. Mandate the following processing model:
>
>     a) Extension Declarations
>
>         A processor that encounters an Extension Declaration whose
> "required"
>         attribute has the value of "true" and that does not recognize
its
> namespace
>         MUST stop processing the wsdl document at once.
>
>         A processor that recognizes an Extension Declaration whose
> "required"
>         attribute has the value of "true" MUST obey its rules for the
> entire duration
>         of its processing of the wsdl document in which it appears.
Such
> rules are
>         allowed to override other wsdl processing rules defined by
this
> specification.
>
>         It is recommended that the effect of these rules be as
localized
> as possible;
>         in particular, their effect SHOULD be local to elements that
> contain
>         Extensions belonging to that particular vocabulary.
>
>     b) Required Extensions
>
>         A processor that encounters a Required Extension and that
either
> doesn't
>         recognize its vocabulary or fails to process it successfully
MUST