  From: www-ws-desc-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-desc-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Jonathan Marsh
  Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 12:43 PM
  To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
  Subject: RE: Open Content Model

  XSLT also has an essentially open content model, which has proved both
useful and harmless.

  On the other hand, XML Schema does not provide such an open content model.
As far as I can tell, it only allows attribute extensibility on a few
elements, and limits element extensibility to the <xs:annotation> element.
Personally, I never understood this decision.  It appears overly complex and
cumbersome.  Does anyone have any knowledge of the rationale for this
design?