From: Roberto Chinnici [mailto:roberto.chinnici@sun.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 10:30 AM
To: Prasad Yendluri
Cc: www-ws-desc@w3c.org
Subject: Re: issue: remove solicit-response and output-only operations?

It seems to me that if we remove solicit-response and notification
operations
from interfaces (portTypes), we'll remove a major source of confusion in
WSDL.

Both mechanisms described in Prasad's email can be recovered by putting what
used to be solicit-response and notification operations in their own port
type
and reversing them, making them request-response and one-way operations.
A future event-notification description language or an upper-layer business
process language could then use this new port type for its own purposes.

If we need to capture the fact that a WSDL 1.next service defines some
outbound operations, which I'm guessing is what Pallavi is hinting at in
her message, we can allow adding "outbound ports" to a service (and
later to a service type). It could be as simple as adding a new attribute
direction="inbound|outbound" (with inbound as default value) to <port/>.
The full specification of an event/callback registration mechanism can
then be done later. Notice also that it's much easier for a tool to match
up a client and a server if they both declare ports of the same type
but with opposite directions, as opposed to identifying conjugate
operations in different portTypes.

Roberto

--
Roberto Chinnici
Java and XML Software

Prasad Yendluri wrote:

> We discussed this briefly during F2F last week also but to expand a little
more
> on this, I see a need for both types of mechanisms. That is,
>
> 1) A solid event-notification mechanism (that is service initiated) that
> Sanjiva proposes as the replacement. This would however call for the
> specification of the complete details including the event subscription
> mechanism etc. as we had discussed in the f2f. This is to facilitate a
server
> to generate events (subsequent to a request).
>
> 2) A way to describe things from a request initiator perspective. Revised
and
> completed versions of Solict-Response and Notification that "fix" the
abstract
> definitions and provide full details of the concrete definitions.
>
> I personally would be willing to go with the removal of these patterns if
there
> is a clear way to capture both sides of an exchange (e.g. in a business
> process) say by an upper layer mechanism (analogous to WSFL or XLANG).
However
> both seem to (XLANG I know for sure) rely on Solicit-Response /
Notification