From: Sedukhin, Igor [mailto:Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 3:30 PM
To: www-ws-desc@w3.org
Subject: R067 and R967a: extensibility

As a followup to the conf.call discussion:

R067: would refer to "the extensibility of the definitions mandated by
the WSDL specification"
R067a: would refer to "the ability to define extensible
(application-specific) metadata around constructs mandated by the WSDL
specification"

Here is the semantic difference:

Results of R067 would allow one to define a WSDL-derived specification
with basic constructs defined by WSDL itself and extra constructs
defined by extensions. For instance, bindings as defined now fall into
this category. We just have to cover other constructs similarly.

Here is an example where elements in bold define extensions of the
definitions.
<message name="nmtoken"> *
<-- extensibility element (1) --> *
<part name="nmtoken" element="qname"? type="qname"> *
<-- extensibility element (2) --> *
</part>
</message>

Results of R067a would, for instance, allow one to include a link to a
UML diagram of a use case as a metadata element for a definition of a
service.

Here is the actual example.
<extend xmlns:myExt="...">
<myExt:useCase id="purchaseOrder" UML="http://mycorp/usecases/PO.vsd"/>
</extend>
<service extend="purchaseOrder" ...
or
<service ... >
<extend name="purchaseOrder" xmlns:myExt="...">
<myExt:useCase id="purchaseOrder" UML="http://mycorp/usecases/PO.vsd"/>
</extend>
</service>

And this is something I should be able to use as follows (UC0026)
NodeList ext = client.getService().getExtend();
Element useCase = (Element)NodeList.item(0);
URL linkToUML = new URL(useCase.getAttribute("UML"));

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com)