Re: Web Services Architecture Document

On Jan 29, 2004, at 5:27 PM, Stephane Fellah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple of questions related to the scope of your working
> group.
> Is there any chance to see an OWL formalization of the different
> concepts and relationships exposed in the WS Architecture Document ?

There is already one, primary created by a team at CMU. It will be
released with the document and I, for one, hope to use it as the basis
of the "RDF mapping of WSDL to the semantic web".

> What would be the next step for W3C : define again new XML schemas
> (syntaxic approach) or using semantic web technologies (OWL). I clearly
> favor the last option because the syntaxic approach is too brittle to
> scale on the web. The OWL-S effort seems to address the same problem,
> but uses different terms. Is there any harmonization effort between the
> working groups ?

Perhaps. Certainly the Semantic Web Services Initiative is looking at
it. Insofar as the final version of OWL-S will want to connect to WSDL
2.0, and WSDL 2.0, as I said above, will connect (one hopes) to the
architecture OWL, then, yes, there will be some harmonization.

Since our understanding of SOA is evolving, those ontologies must
evolve too.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.