RE: Section 1.6 and REST - Can we make this more clear and useful ?

I think that's a good idea.  I agree that I used "complexity" as a shorthand
term for all sorts of stuff such as that you mention.  Basically, SOAP's
value proposition comes from the SOAP-based specs that provide eventing,
reliable messaging, transactions, orchestration, authorization, encryption,
digital signatures ..... You might have a "complex" application that doesn't
need these things but for which straight XML-over-REST is quite appropriate.
Once again, concrete examples, preferably with credible case studies, are
solicited.

> What REST could add
> there is operational visibility
> - a standard means to ask various systems about a given
> resource (be it a message/transaction/document).

Well, XML iteself also provides "operational visibility" if you are using
the term as I understand it after months of discussion with Mark B.  That
is, one could use the XPath (or a similar) standard to peek inside
message/transactions/documents whether or not they are being used in a
RESTful manner or not.