RE: Web Services Architecture documents published

Hmmmm.  We went through the Requirements doc and discussed each
deliverable there, but I don't recall doing the same exercise with the
charter itself.  I guess we sort of thought that the Requirements doc
was a reification of the charter, or something like that.  Probably we
should have done the exercise with the charter itself, too, but ... Oh
well.

I can't answer for the WG, but I think that the statement in question
was probably understood in a fairly general sense -- that the
architecture itself was to be, by its nature, the roadmap in question.
Of course, the "maintaining" part is not deliverable without a WG, but
that's another story.

Note that the statement occurs in the section about coordination with
other groups.  That section more or less says that the coordination
group will use the architecture document as a guide for its activities.
It then says, in the statement you quote, more or less that input from
other groups will be paid attention to in the creation of that
architecture.  At least that's the way I read it.  "Coordination goes
both ways", more or less.  If that is a valid reading, then let me
promise you that input from other groups got a LOT of attention in the
WSA, particularly WSDL and XML Protocol.

I don't think that at any time in the lifetime of the WG was there an
understanding, or even an opinion expressed, that we were supposed to be
developing a roadmap in the sense of "First somebody needs to write a
spec to do X, then after that somebody else will build on that with
specs that do Y and Z".  The closest we came to an understanding of that
sort was our role of identifying gaps that other WG's might work on and
to propose such WG's, a function which we did put considerable effort
into.  Those activities, however, were not reported on directly in the
document, other than the various "issues" raised as to questions that
need to be answered and are not answered (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-arch-20040211/#unresolved_issues for
links to such discussions).