From: David Orchard [mailto:dorchard@bea.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 10 February 2004 11:35
To: 'Jim Webber'; 'Josh Sled'; 'Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)'
Cc: 'He, Hao'; 'Michael Champion'; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

argh.  How many times do we go here?  Both sides are not quite right:
- Web services are NOT RPC as they do not just do Remote Calls.  They assume
the network is there, unlike RPC.  They also support asynch and one-way
MEPs, so they are more than just "Calls".
- Web services are Procedures when they embed the verb in the message.  By
procedures I mean arbitrary verbs, unlike REST which constrains the verbs.
Web services are mostly about defining arbitrary "verbs", as there is very
little uptake of the RESTful Web services.

I argue that Web services can be very succesful in this middle ground, as
long as it allows for extensibility and versioning (touchless compatible
versioning) the way that REST/Web do.  I argue that the constrained
interface, while fundamental in the REST context, also focused on extensible
interfaces (rather than brittle APIs) and it is the extensible interfaces
that are the true critical success factor.

Cheers,
Dave