From: Josh Sled [mailto:jsled@asynchronous.org]
Sent: Friday, February 06, 2004 3:09 PM
To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Cc: He, Hao; Michael Champion; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: REST wrap-up (was Re: Web Services Architecture Document

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 02:57:47PM -0600, Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
wrote:

| From having discussed this with you in the past, I think that the
| experiences you are basing this on have been within the enterprise.  I

| think that the capabilities SOAP brings to the table become much more
| obviously necessary when you start looking at B2B.  In addition, we
| are beginning to find problems within the enterprise of a similar
| nature because ... Well, maybe I don't want to go into that in this
| forum.

I'm hoping you can go into a bit in this forum...

You seem to be arguing that RPC is required due to some fundamental B2B
difficulty?

But the most expansive and capable B2B network I can think of is the
existing, RESTful Web.

I'm curious about the requirements of the problem you're seeing, and why
the style of the existing Web needs to be a concession within the
architecture document regarding Web services.

I'm also at odds with Mike Champion's statement that RPC works well
within a well-managed environment ["within the enterprise"], which also
doesn't seem to be a characteristic of the Web, but has a large focus in
the architecture document.

...jsled