Re: Normative constraints on the WSA

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 08:18:28PM -0400, Champion, Mike wrote:
> <troll>
> Uhh, what does the widespread use of cookies, POST-triggered CGI scripts
> whose result is not "on the web", and application servers that maintain
> server-side application state in order to make HTTP useful to application
> integration by ordinary mortals say about a well-known theory of the Web
> architectural principles if one were to apply those criteria? </troll>

You're totally right.  Not all of REST's constraints represent Web
architecture.  But some of REST's constraints are part of Web
architecture; I've listed the three of them that I believe are
practically axiomatic of a Web based system today; uniform interface,
hypermedia as engine of application state, and identifiers of
resources.

> > Are you planning to request review of the next revision of
> > the arch doc by the TAG?
>
> No.
>
> I'm quite confident that this group is operating well within its chartered
> constraints vis a vis the Web architetcture, the current draft of the
> Webarch document, and the understandings that resulted from the discussions
> between the TAG and XMLP on SOAP 1.2 and the GET binding a year ago.

Thanks.  Just asking.

  Actively seeking contract work or employment