RE: Magic

So let's carry this example to something a bit more applicable to the real
world. Let's say order processing. The traditional SOA folks (i.e. RPC
heritage) would normally create a single service with a single URI that
exposes about 20 operations to do all kinds of things with orders. Users of
this service must include the PO ID number with all calls and they must
indicate a method name indicating what should be done.

In a RESTful example, you would have a different URI for each PO number. You
use the "new PO" URI to obtain a new URI for your PO. Then you use PUT on
the PO URI to submit the order, and GET on the PO URI to return it's state
(the PO plus its current status). Another PUT would submit changes.

Okay -- that takes care of the basic CRUD operations -- but order processing
involves a lot more than CRUD operations. So please, Mark, can you provide
us a real-world example? One that lets us do thinks like aggregate
information about orders by customer, back order status, payment terms,
geographical region, etc?

Regards,
Anne