RE: "Marchitecture" text for stack diagram

OK, how about:

"While very simple information transfer services can be implemented without
SOAP, secure, reliable,  multi-part, multi-party and/or multi-network
applications are much easier to build if there is a standard way of
packaging the messaging information in a protocol neutral way.  This also
allows the messaging infrastructure (which may be specialized hardware, SOAP
intermediaries, or code libraries called by the ultimate recipient of a SOAP
message) to provide authentication, encryption, access control, ransaction
processing, routing, delivery confirmation, etc. services. SOAP's envelope
(and  attachment) structure and header / processing model have proven to be
a very robust and  powerful framework within which to do this."

I'd like to get across the value that SOAP brings to the messaging "box"
above and beyond the value that XML and standardized Web protocols bring.
Please continue to suggest improvements!