Re: Web Service Description and stateful services - (on the 'www-ws@w3.org' list) Debating on a) Stateful Web Service Instances b) Stateful Interaction - OGSI

Ugo Corda wrote:

>>The question that needs to be clarified is 'what is the service'. Is it
>>the client-server that Roy is talking about and WSDL alludes to? Or is
>>it the engine behind the server that has maintained state and so
>>recognizes the client and is stateful. What's your take?
>>

>Well, as Mike mentioned before, SOAP and WSDL do not have notion of state. So if we want to talk about state we have to move to a level above that. (You might want to call that a semantic view of what the service actually does). I used the BPEL Web service example because in that case you have a specific document (the process document written in the BPEL language) that tells you what the internals of the Web service (i.e. the business process) look like.

What do we call the internals? Is it a 'service' but not a 'Web
service', the 'service behind the service', the 'Web service whose
definition is given by more than WSDL/SOAP', or something totally
difference?

What if I have three layers. WSDL/SOAP is one layer that is stateless.
Reliable messaging and single sign-on is another layer that is stateful.
BPEL is another layer that is definitely stateful but more like the
maintained state. In the EJB world we have stateless, stateful and
entity beans. Do we have a similar analogy here?

arkin