RE: Proposal to Simplify the UML

Message
  -----Original Message-----
  From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
  Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 9:52 AM
  To: Martin Chapman; www-ws-arch@w3.org
  Subject: RE: Proposal to Simplify the UML

  OK, if you think cardinalities are really important, I think you should be
a lot more careful about whether you use * or 1,..  It appears to me, and I
think that Chris Ferris is agreeing, that 1,.. is actually correct in a
bunch of places you have *.  I tried to point out a few by asking questions
based on the existing *'s, but I did not try to do so exhaustively.  You
have a lot of *'s and I really suspect that a large number of them should be
1,..  If one actually is making the distinction they are not at all the
same -- one implies that a spec MUST require that something is there
(generally if something else is there), the other implies that a spec MUST
allow something to be missing (even if something else is there).  Both can
be non-trivial requirements.

  [mdc] i have changed the sender to be 1..*, the reciever is still *. If
you think other places need to change from * to 1..* please point them out.
  [mdc] and yes the distinction between * (may) and 1..* (must) is quite
important to capture.

  Yes, my suggestion below is indeed counter to the previous one, which was
to use the terms consistently as per standard definition.  I suggest below
that we define our own, non-standard usage that allows a looser cardinality
than in the standard but also supports the more restrictive terms when we
are sure that we mean them.

  [mdc] this make no sense to me. using *, 0..*, and 1..* are all part of
the uml standard. so aside from restricting ourselves to one form of zero or
more
  [mdc] what else is needed?

  I still think that putting in all these cardinalities is going to get us
involved in a bunch of discussions that are more detailed than they need to
be, but it seems to me that this is certainly a view upon which reasonable
people can differ.