RE: RM and Intermediaries

-----Original Message-----
From: Ricky Ho
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Sent: 1/25/2003 10:49 AM
Subject: RM and Intermediaries

> S --> i1 --> i2 --> R

> Do i1 and i2 have to understand RM ? or RM is just an end-to-end
> handshaking between S and R ?  If so, can S pick a different path in its
> message resend ?

As best I understand it, this is the main use case for RM at the SOAP level
- end to end RM rather than the point to point RM. So long as the RM headers
are not mustUnderstand=true (or the intermediaries are transport-level
intermediaries rather than SOAP intermediaries), the intermediaries can
participate or not participate in the protocol, and the inter-point
transports can be reliable or unreliable as reality dictates.  Still, the
application gets the advantages of RM as if it were guaranteed by a single
TCP connection, a MOM, or whatever.

Does this seem reasonable?