  From: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org [mailto:www-ws-arch-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Christopher B Ferris
  Sent: Friday, January 10, 2003 11:26 AM
  To: Mark Baker
  Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
  Subject: Re: Generic URI things

  Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote on 01/08/2003 03:54:50 PM:

  <snip/>

  > In progress, at least for Waka.  But while that's important, it doesn't
  > matter to the uniform constraint.  It's uniform, because the meaning of
  > "MONITOR" and "WATCH" is meaningful to all things with identity (I can
  > use it to monitor dogs, chickens, lava flows, weather reports).  The

  No it isn't. It is meaningful to resources which support that method for
  starters. Secondly, unless I'm mistaken, I still have no idea whether this
  is your MONITOR or mine... Will I get a lizard on my doorstep next week
  or will I be notified that the state has changed through some less toothy
  means?

  Further, can you demonstrate/prove how it is that your assertion that the
uniformity
  of the interface with regards to all identified resources is what actually
  derives the benefits you suggest? *MIGHT* it be the case that it is the
standardization
  within a domain that has accorded much of the benefits observed?

  > only thing that would make it non-uniform is if it was only meaningful
  > to a subset of things, such as MONITOR-STOCK-QUOTE only being meaningful
  > to stock quotes.
  >
  > MB
  > --
  > Mark Baker.   Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.        http://www.markbaker.ca
  > Web architecture consulting, technical reports, evaluation & analysis

  Christopher Ferris
  email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
  phone: +1 508 234 3624