From: Christian Hoertnagl [mailto:hoe@zurich.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 12:41 AM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: programming model for document-style SOAP

Greetings,

1st: I enjoy the currently interesting discussion in this group about REST
and whether prior knowledge resides in XML schemas and/or WSDL and all that
... I'm new to this so this is good stuff.

2nd: Can you please advise me on the following: given one uses
document-style SOAP, what kind of programming model and tools would one
adopt? What are the current best practices?  (I guess use of document-style
SOAP will coincide with asynchronous invocation in many cases.)

With RPC-style SOAP there are WSDL-to-stub generators and all that; I guess
a document-centric approach requires sg. different and less "brittle" like
perhaps callback handlers for certain (optinal) parts of SOAP documents. I
guess having each and every client/server do all the document processing
purely on the DOM level would not cut it.

Thanks,
Christian