Re: Generic URI things

Hi again.  I'm trying to keep things brief.

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:14:16PM -0500, Christopher B Ferris wrote:
> > Other generic things you can do include;
> >
> > - setting the state of some resource (PUT)
>
> Whoa, back up the bus! Where did the agent get the understanding needed
> to populate an instance of a document defined by the schema?

Hmm, well, if an automaton is hardcoded to know that "1" means on, and
"2" means off, then it also knows that PUTting a "1" will change the
state to on, and PUTting a "2" will change the state to off.  Is that
what you meant?

> > (Waka/Idokorro/KnowNow MONITOR/WATCH)
>
> Hmmm... and where is the IETF RFC that defines these methods?

In progress, at least for Waka.  But while that's important, it doesn't
matter to the uniform constraint.  It's uniform, because the meaning of
"MONITOR" and "WATCH" is meaningful to all things with identity (I can
use it to monitor dogs, chickens, lava flows, weather reports).  The
only thing that would make it non-uniform is if it was only meaningful
to a subset of things, such as MONITOR-STOCK-QUOTE only being meaningful
to stock quotes.