RE: Binding

Pardon my ignorance, I am wondering what a RESTfull or RESTLess business
transaction would look like (not getastockquote).

I have a suggestion, now that Office is XML enabled, we could all return
to using GOFM (good old fax machines), and fax our XML back and forth.
That way you get security, non-repudiation and guaranteed delivery for
free, things that are far from given when you use an HTTP GET/POST with
SOAP bubbles or not.

Jean-Jacques Dubray____________________

PS: I have been working with web services since 1998 (remember
BowStreet?) and since 1998 the only meaningful example people can come
up with is getting a stock quote and make generalizations from it. This
is so depressing.

On
>>Behalf Of Miles Sabin
>>Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 11:07 AM
>>To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
>>Subject: Re: Binding
>>

>>Mark Baker wrote,
>>>
>>> Ok, here goes ...
>>>
>>> Here's what a RESTful client needs to know in order to get the data;
>>>
>>> - URI
>>> - HTTP GET
>>>
>>> Here's what a Web services client needs to know in order to get the
>>> data;
>>>
>>> - URI
>>> - what "getLastSharePriceOfIBM" means
>>
>>Frankly, this is just smoke and mirrors.
>>
>>The URI in the REST case contains the substring "/ibm/lastshareprice".
>>It needs to know what that substring means just as much (or as little)
>>as the RESTless client needs to know what "getLastSharePriceOfIBM"
>>means.
>>
>>Getting rid of a priori knowledge isn't as easy as string
concatenation.