Re: Applications are allowed to process SOAP header blocks (was: Messaging Service Layer)

+1 to Jean-Jacques's reply.  The SOAP headers are a general
extensibility and modularity mechanism just as suitable for modularly
constructed applications as for use by the "messaging" layer.  Indeed,
until general standards for security, reliability, asynchronous
messaging, conversations, etc. are in place, these are all being
currently handled at the application level, often using SOAP headers.
My feeling is that this is analogous to programming language
libraries.  Common, useful functionality is eventually standardized
into widely supported standard libraries so that each application does
not have to re-invent such things, so that code will be more portable,
etc.  Application-specific libraries are also often a useful thing,
too.

--mark

Mark A. Jones
AT&T Labs -- Strategic Standards Division
Shannon Laboratory
Room 2A02
180 Park Ave.
Florham Park, NJ  07932-0971