Re: Resource model diagram

Paul:
On Dec 12, 2003, at 1:57 AM, Paul Denning wrote:

> At 04:17 PM 2003-12-05, Francis McCabe wrote:
>
> This diagram is a revised diagram for a refactored resource model.
>
> We may, or may not, wish to include the service model for discovery.
>
> The revised diagram shows  [discovery service] about -> [resource
> description].
> Seems a little messy.  What is the relationship between a "resource
> description" and a "service description"?
> (Remind me again why discovery is in the resource model?)

Discovery is about discovering *things*, and a service is a *thing*
that you might discover.

> I am beginning to feel that discovery is more like a choreography.

The process of discovering may be captured in a choreography, but
discovery itself is not a choreography. That is a category error.

Also, there are many kinds of discovery, as you point out below.

> Perhaps we should move discovery to the service oriented model, and
> add a box to that diagram labeled [discovery].

We have other things to discover than services. WSDL and Choreography
documents, come to mind.

Frank