RE: Issue: Synch/Asynch Web services

It seems to me that communication over a queue could be modeled either as a particular type of SOAP binding (e.g. binding to a transport that support queuing, e.g. a MOM protocol), or as a SOAP Intermediary with store-and-forward capability.

Ugo

-----Original Message-----
From: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler) [mailto:RogerCutler@chevrontexaco.com]
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2003 7:42 AM
To: Sai Surya Kiran Evani
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: Issue: Synch/Asynch Web services

I think that the answer to your original question is, "No" -- I have not seen any discussion of these concepts in this group.  However, speaking personally this looks very interesting.  If you're willing to keep talking about this, I have some questions:

What is a bounded length queue?  Is this a reasonable model for practical systems on the Web?

Granting that Web services can be viewed in this context, what is the potential gain?  Do these theories provide logical foundations of some sort that we might be able to lean on somehow?  Or do they draw distinctions or derive results that might constrain or guide Web services architecture?

I'm reaching here because I really don't know much about the theoretical background.  I have heard of pi-calculus, but in a context that seems to me a bit different.  I seem to recall Microsoft people claiming that their XLang language, which I believe is something like a lower level BPEL, or perhaps a precursor to BPEL, used (I think) as a basis for the logic underlying their EAI product, Biztalk Server -- I think that they claimed that XLANG has some sort of completeness because it is a representation of Pi calculus.  This may be a bit confused, but it at least gives you a hint where my personal knowledge level sits.  However, based on this scanty knowledge I would have sort of expected things like Pi calculus to come up in the Choreography group.  So that's what motivates me to ask how you see this stuff applying to the architecture of the Web services (other than through choreography)?