From: Geoff Arnold [mailto:Geoff.Arnold@Sun.COM]
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 1:44 PM
To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: Issue: Synch/Asynch Web services

On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 01:52 PM, Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
wrote:
[splash, splash]
> And then, I would think, there are WS's that can be used BOTH s and
> a/s.

I think we're splashing around in the pond. Let's refocus. Synchronous
and
asynchronous are adjectives. To what nouns do they apply? (If many,
pick the
most fundamental.) What is the essential difference between a
synchronous <x> and
an asynchronous <x>?

The superficially plausible candidates for <x> are:
- set of messages
- message exchange pattern
- message
- web service
You may have others.

As you know, my preference is for "message exchange pattern", because
this
lets me think about the consequences for messages (what properties must
they
have) and sets of messages (is this, possibly ordered, set of messages a
well-formed instance of a particular message exchange pattern).