RE: Some proposed definitions of Web Service

Roger Cutler wrote:
>I don't see any problem with defining the term Web services itself in a
>way that is fairly general and can accommodate development of the
>technology and then specializing to a more restricted domain for the
>reference architecture.

I agree.   Furthermore, . . .

1. It's far more important for us to spend our time focusing on the
properties of our architecture than on either a one-paragraph definition of
"Web service" or what we should call our architecture.

2. Our existing definition "Web service" is not perfect, but it's good
enough for glossary purposes for the time being.  We might consider MINOR
wordsmithing tweaks at our F2F, but NOT on email, because these email
threads tend to quickly diverge out of control and become unproductive.

3. I think our Chairs made an excellent suggestion for moving forward: list
potential services and have the group decide if they're in scope or out of
scope ( http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2003Apr/0203.html )
for the WSA.  I think the list is a good way to collect candidates for
consideration.

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard