Re: RE: Nailing down the definition of "Web services" and the scope of WSA for the document

BTW, in case you didn't know, the extra whitespace that gets inserted in
many of your long subject lines scores big-time spam points by
spamassassin.

On Fri, Apr 18, 2003 at 03:21:06PM -0400, Champion, Mike wrote:
> I'm torn between wanting the WSA to be consistent with the webarch, and
> wanting the WSA constraints to be meaningful.  If anything with identity is
> "on the web" that excludes essentially nothing (Dan Connolly's car is
> supposedly "on the Web" because he has assigned it a URI in a domain he
> controls).

Right.

> As several people noted on the telcon yesterday, an architecture
> without constraints is not an architecture.

Agreed, but are you suggesting that being able to identify anything is
not constraining enough?  If so, you've got that backwards.  It is
*because* the Web is so constraining that it is powerful enough to
include everything.

I think the word you're looking for is "limitation", not constraint.
e.g. it would be a limitation if the Web was not able to include
everything.  Constraints are inputs to an architecture/style; what
forms of solution do I forgo to gain valuable properties?  Limitations
are outputs; what can or can't I do well as a result of the constraints?