RE: Nailing down the definition of "Web services" and the scope o f WS A for the document

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher B Ferris [mailto:chrisfer@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 7:43 AM
To: Champion, Mike
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org; www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: Nailing down the definition of "Web services" and the scope o f
WS A for the document

I for one had the same thought, a Web service *has an* interface, it is
not an "is a" relationship in my book.

It sounds to me like this is another issue we should discuss today in trying
to filet the "what is a Web service" trout.  So, the major points of
discussion about the proposed definition from the editors seem to be:

- What should we call a WSA-ish "Web service"?  "XML WS?"  "WSA-compliant
WS?" other?
- How formal / machine processable must a WSA-ish WS description be?
- Is a WS an interface to some service, or does the WS have an XML
interface?

It would be good if people who feel strongly about any of these issues were
to get their arguments on the virtual table  before the telcon.