RE: Is This a Web Service?

Do other people think that if it doesn't use WSDL it's not a Web
service?  I personally don't like this at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: James M Snell [mailto:jasnell@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2003 4:30 PM
To: Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org; www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: Is This a Web Service?

I have used the following terms to label a spectrum of Web service
types:

Custom Web Service: Uses an interface description (e.g. WSDL), but all
other WS specs are optional (e.g. it doesn't have to use SOAP, HTTP ,
etc... this could be nothing more than a WSDL description of a Java RMI
interface, for instance).... some would hesitate to call this a Web
service (me included... but I've stuck to the use of the term "Web
service" here so that it fits in with existing nomenclature)

Internet Web Service: Uses an interface description (WSDL) + standard
internet protocols (e.g. HTTP).  All other things (e.g. SOAP) are
optional.

Interoperable Web Service: Uses an interface description (WSDL) +
standard
internet protoocls (e.g. HTTP) and SOAP.  Generally talking about WS-I
basic profile conformance.

The point is, no, Web services should not be required to use SOAP to be
considered Web services.  At a barest minimum, they should require
nothing
more than a WSDL service description.

- James M Snell
  jasnell@us.ibm.com
  http://www.ibm.com
  (877) 511-5082 / Office
  930-1979 / Tie Line

"Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)" <RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com>
Sent by: www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
04/14/2003 02:19 PM

www-ws-arch@w3.org
cc

Subject
Is This a Web Service?

The recent conversation has included the interesting idea of looking at
Web services as SOAP services.  Are we really saying that SOAP is
integral
and required for ALL Web services?  For example (and this is a real
example), suppose there is a Web site on the internet that is oriented
toward returning results to people on browsers, but if you set the
parameters of the GET in a particular manner it runs an application that

generates an image (the nature of which depends on other parameters) and

returns that image (and only the image) as an HTTP type image/png.  I
now
have an application that at some point wants to make such an image with
the contents based, shall we say, on calculated values (in fact, this
determines text that is inside the image, if you must know) -- and I do
GET with the appropriate parameters, wait for the HTTP to come back,
write
the binary stream of the image somewhere and go about the business of
the
application which does something with the image.
Now, I personally think that's a Web service, mostly because of the
application to application flavor.  I would not call it a "W3C Web
service", since it doesn't use WSDL and SOAP -- but it seems pretty Web
service-ey to me.  I would personally call it an "ad hoc" Web service --

and I would make up another name for ebXML transactions that use SOAP
but
not WSDL, since it seems to me that those, too, are Web services that
handle the description differently.
But what do you folks think?  Does it absolutely have to use SOAP to be
Web service?  If so, that's an interesting and really useful thing to
know.  My personal opinion, for what it is worth, is that simpler, ad
hoc
things like the example above are, indeed, Web services, but you quickly

start needing SOAP if you want to do anything other than the most basic
operations, and so in practice most of the "interesting" Web services
use
SOAP.  I am certainly willing to agree that if a Web service uses ANY
enveloping mechanism that it should be SOAP, since there don't seem to
be
any other real popular candidates.  Is that a reasonable point of view?