Re: wire stack words and diagram

Heather, Editors:

Here is some additional text which would fit at the end of the
Packaging section in the wire stack text that you sent around:

<maj>
For some applications, a purely XML-based representation of the
payload is awkward or inefficient.  Examples of such cases include
payloads which contain binary data, recursively structured envelopes,
syntactically ill-formed XML fragments, etc.  The most common
Packaging tactic in such cases is to introduce a multipart
representation which carries the SOAP envelope and its related data
(commonly referred to as "attachments").  "SOAP Messages with
Attachments", published as a W3C note
[http://www.w3.org/TR/SOAP-attachments], is one proposed scheme;
"Direct Internet Message Encapsulation (DIME)"
[http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nielsen-dime-02.txt] is
another.  An abstract model for SOAP 1.2 attachment features
[http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-af/] specifies how SOAP 1.2 bindings use
attachments and how those attachments are referenced from the envelope.
</maj>

--mark

Mark A. Jones
AT&T