RE: arch diagrams from the f2f

Perhaps we just need to clarify the meaning of the diagram. This diagram
simply shows the process by which an application finds and connects to
another application. It doesn't (or shouldn't) attempt to describe the
entire WSA architecture. It doesn't attempt to describe MEPs or multiple
interactions. These concepts should be conveyed in a different set of
diagrams

Here's how I describe this stuff in my book. (Notice that my diagram looks
more like Heather's original diagram, showing the roles, not just the
artifacts. Also note that my diagram is very client/server centric -- which
we probably want to change.):

The service-oriented architecture (SOA) describes a set of well-established
patterns that help a client application connect to a service. These patterns
represent mechanisms used to describe a service, to advertise and discover a
service, and to communicate with a service. Most communication middleware
systems, such as RPC, CORBA, DCOM, and RMI, rely on these SOA patterns.

Figure 3-2 [see attached] depicts the conceptual roles, artifacts, and
operations of the SOA. The three basic roles in the SOA are the service
provider, the service consumer, and the service broker. The service provider
supplies the service, the service consumer uses the service, and the service
broker facilities the advertising and discovery process. The three basic
artifacts in the SOA are the client, the service, and the service contract.
The client is the code that the service consumer uses to access the service;
the service is the code that supplies the service; and the service contract
describes the API that the client uses to access the service. The three
basic operations in the SOA are register, find, and bind. When a service
provider makes a service available, it describes the service by publishing a
service contract. The service provider then registers the service with a
service broker. A service consumer queries the service broker to find a
compatible service. The service broker gives the service consumer directions
on how to find the service and its service contract. The service consumer
uses the contract to bind the client to the service, at which point the
client and service may communicate.