RE: arch diagrams from the f2f

[wearing member hat, not co-chair hat]

When I was working on the intro to the WSA document, I was struggling with
how to illustrate the evolution of the web/web services from "HTTP does it
all" to the view expressed in the triangle/3 stack diagram.  I didn't get
very far, but this discussion is helping to crystallize it in my mind.

I don't think the "HTTP is the circle wrapping the whole thing" picture is
quite right.  Perhaps we have a series of pictures: start from the "picture"
that Mark draws of HTTP being the interaction, the discovery mechanism
(Google?), and the publish mechanism.  Discuss the reasons why many people
(not ALL of course!) found that inadequate for machine-machine interactions
(limits of URI encoding, need for rigorous description of the invocation
mechanism, need for more sophisticated queries than search engines allow).
Then show how the HTTP-is-everything diagram "blows up" into the 3-stack
diagram.

Of course, HTTP-is-everything is still back there somewhere for those who
know a priori or hard-code the knowledge of the interaction mechanism,
location of important resources, etc.  That is a perfectly respectable thing
to do, but not general enough to meet the WSA requirements, IMHO.  We need
to show it in some diagram ... maybe the "where does this come from" view or
the "assembly language" view, but not in all views.