RE: Proposed Choreograph Working Group Charter

I for one was talking about the realities of defining *standards*
for semantics given today's technology.  Of course some
shared understanding of "semantics" is necessary, it's just that
IMHO we're not able to cut humans out of that loop now, or anytime soon.

If semantic technology that is ready for standardization (as opposed to
ready for demonstration, or ready for use in pilot projects) is
out there, by all means educate us!

My point is more to keep us focused on what is realistically achieveable
in the short run, as opposed to what is desireable and optimistically
achieveable in the long run.  Effective standards are typically built
on "boring" technology that everyone understands rather than "cool"
technology at the cutting edge.

James Gosling seems to have developed the definitive mathematical theory
of this :-) http://java.sun.com/people/jag/StandardsPhases/index.html
"for a standard to be usefully formed, the technology needs to be
understood:
technological interest needs to be waning. But if political interest
in a standard becomes too large, the various parties have too
much at stake in their own vested interest to be flexible enough
to accommodate the unified view that a standard requires."

Web services choreography just *might* be in Gosling's "window
of standardization."  Web services business semantics are probably not.