Re: Proposed Choreograph Working Group Charter

I cannot help thinking that if the group seriously considers being able
to do business without semantics a positive rather than negative
feature of today then there is some education necessary. If you are
Ford, or Shell, it may be that you are able to bully your suppliers
into a single accepted standard for the meanings of terms; however,
even there there is a semantics -- it may not be written down, it may
not be negotiable, and if you are not Ford etc. you may not have a say
in it (and there get a chance to influence it) but hey you STILL have a
semantics.

The difference between a written down semantics and a
back-of-the-envelope semantics is not that there is no semantic
attachment to verbs such as "open_this_account"; its simply that the
meaning is opaque and inherently fragile. (If you write both the
customer and supplier `agent' then this may not matter very much; but
if I write the customer agent and you write the supplier agent, then we
begin to get into trouble fast.)

Frank