Re: New editors' copy of the Web Services Architecture Glossary available

Hi Hugo,

I see that the definition of "gateway" that we came up with didn't make
it into this version.  Perhaps you could incorporate it in at a
convenient time.

Here's what I believe is the latest, incorporating input from
Jean-Jacques and DaveH [1][2][3];

"Gateway: a node that terminates a message on an inbound interface with
the intent of presenting it through an outbound interface as a new
message. Unlike a proxy, a gateway receives messages as if it were the
final receiver for the message. Due to possible mismatches between the
inbound and outbound interfaces, a message may be modified and may have
some or all of its meaning lost during the conversion process. For
example, an HTTP PUT has no equivalent in SMTP.  Note: a gateway may or
may not be a SOAP node; however a gateway is never a SOAP intermediary,
since gateways terminate messages and SOAP intermediaries relay them
instead. Being a gateway is typically a permanent role, whilst being a
SOAP intermediary is message specific."

The tricky bit would be deciding which section to put it in.  It isn't
SOAP-specific, so Section 7 seems the wrong place, but it would be nice
to fit it with other protocol-related definitions.  Perhaps you could
rename Section 7 to "Protocol Definitions", and perhaps 7.1 to
"Core Protocol Concepts" or something like that ...?  I don't really
care, just pointing out the issue.

 [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Oct/0180
 [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Oct/0181
 [3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-arch/2002Oct/0194

MB

--
Mark Baker, CTO, Idokorro Mobile.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.
http://www.markbaker.ca             http://www.idokorro.com