From: Assaf Arkin [mailto:arkin@intalio.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 10:08 PM
To: Ugo Corda
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: RE: How to determine if an operation is synchronous

A synchronous operation can be performed by two asynchronous communications.
WSDL 1.1 allows you to specify a protocol binding that will use two
separate, opposite direction, one message exchanged, asynchronous
communications. The protocol would be asynchronous. The operation would be
synchronous. The two do not stand in conflict.

If you go back to my previous e-mail explaining the relation between node A
and node B, and how they 'synchronize' by performing such an operation, you
will see that nothing there says the message exchange is synchronous. In
fact, if you use a synchronous protocol like HTTP you probably don't need
all the lengthy time computation. You need that if you use an asynchronous
protocol with a significant latency as proof that the operation is
synchronous.

arkin