From: David Booth [mailto:dbooth@w3.org]
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 1:56 PM
To: Heather Kreger; www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: Re: remembering business data and taxonomy in description

Heather,

What you have described is formally called an "ontology":
http://www.w3.org/2002/Talks/0813-semweb-dbooth/slide37-0.html

Clearly, if we do define a WS ontology for this purpose, then either RDF or
W3C's emerging Web Ontology Language (known as "OWL") should be used.  This
will: (a) ensure maximum flexibility and re-use potential; and (b) ensure
that the ontologies will always be cleanly extensible, without breaking
existing software and without having to wait for a standards group to
sanctify new "facts" or "rules" that people want to use.

--
David Booth
W3C Fellow / Hewlett-Packard