From: Heather Kreger [mailto:kreger@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 4:07 PM
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Subject: remembering business data and taxonomy in description

After the stack was accepted as a starting point at the face to face,
someone brought up the need for business description and taxonomy to
be described and associated with a service in a way that does not prescribe
that UDDI be used.

We had initially thought that this may mean a new description layer for the
stack. But
this didn't feel right.

However, I  have talked with some others about this
and would like to propose that this type of information is actually
'information about the
service'.  We had put other 'information about the service' in the policy
layer and I would
like to propose that this is where business and taxonomies should go as
well.
I believe that policies will contain 'facts' and 'rules'. Business data and
taxonomies
are facts.

Once we have a policy language (ws-policy), there will need to be groups
who define
standards 'sets' of policies to standardize keywords and concepts for
things like 'timeout', etc.
I think that some group will need to define a standard owning business
policy and
taxonomy policy.   I think that the UDDIEntry defined by the UDDI
specification
 provides an excellent set of starter data for such a group.

Opinions?

Heather Kreger
Web Services Lead Architect
STSM, SWG Emerging Technology
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441)  cell:919-496-9572