From: Tom_Carroll@grainger.com [mailto:Tom_Carroll@grainger.com]
Sent: Friday, October 11, 2002 3:15 PM
To: RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com
Cc: dorchard@bea.com; RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com; www-ws-arch@w3.org;
www-ws-arch-request@w3.org
Subject: RE: Artifacts

I thought some context might help.

Definition provided by  Merriam-Webster www.m-w.com .

Main Entry: ar·ti·fact
Pronunciation: 'är-ti-"fakt
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin arte by skill (ablative of art-, ars skill) + factum,
neuter of factus, past participle of facere to do -- more at ARM, DO
Date: 1821
1 a : something created by humans usually for a practical purpose;
especially : an object remaining from a particular period <caves containing
prehistoric artifacts> b : something characteristic of or resulting from a
human institution or activity <self-consciousness... turns out to be an
artifact of our education system -- Times Literary Supplement> 2 : a product
of artificial character (as in a scientific test) due usually to extraneous
(as human) agency

Definition provided by Rational.  RUP glossary of terms.

artifact
(1) A piece of information that (1) is produced, modified, or used by a
process, (2) defines an area of responsibility, and (3) is subject to
version control. An artifact can be a model, a model element, or a document.
A document can enclose other documents.  A piece of information that is used
or produced by a software development process. An artifact can be a model, a
description, or software. Synonym: product.

Regards,
Tom Carroll
W.W. Grainger

                      "Cutler, Roger

                      (RogerCutler)"              To:       "'David
Orchard'" <dorchard@bea.com>, "Cutler, Roger (RogerCutler)"
                      <RogerCutler@Chevron
<RogerCutler@ChevronTexaco.com>, www-ws-arch@w3.org

                      Texaco.com>                 cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  RE: Artifacts

                      www-ws-arch-request@

                      w3.org

                      10/11/2002 10:51 AM

Meaning what?